- The Mansion at Strathmore is situated on 11 acres (45,000 m2) which surround the colonial revival mansion built in 1899 for the Oyster family, and sold to Charles Corby in 1908. The Mansion houses small concerts, art exhibitions, the Strathmore Tea Room, and the Shop at Strathmore. This is the original Strathmore venue and it remained so for almost 25 years.
The Mansion features a 100-seat Dorothy M. and Maurice C. Shapiro Music room. This room hosts the Music in the Mansion series with performances of chamber music, vocal and instrumental recitals, jazz and folk music. There is an 1850 Broadwood piano, restored in 1994. There are free outdoor concerts in summer, as well as hee Backyard Theater for Children every Thursday morning.
The art of Strathmore brings in thousands of visitors each year. There are more than two dozen exhibitions each season from local artists and from collaborations with renowned museums, such as the Baltimore Museum. The Gudelsky Gallery Suite, located at the top of the grand staircase, was named after philanthropists, Homer and Martha Gudelsky. Supported by a donation from the Gudelsky Family Foundation, this gallery features four galleries. It is the only venue of its kind in Montgomery County.[citation needed
] There is also a Sculpture Garden that winds through the complex's 11 acres (45,000 m2).
mansion has columned porticos, Palladian windows and a hilltop setting, the Neo-Georgian mansion is an elegant reflection of the past. Strathmore was designed by Appleton P. Clark, Jr., and constructed in 1902 as a summer home for Captain and Mrs. James Oyster and their family. Beginning in 1908, the Oysters sold the residence and its 99 acres (400,000 m2) to Charles I. Corby and his wife, Hattie. It was used as a summer home until 1914 when it was remodeled by architect Charles Keene. After the modifications, the residence became the permanent abode for the Corby family. Mr. Corby died in 1926 after acquiring nearly 400 acres (1.6 km2) of surrounding land and maintaining a fully operational dairy farm and a private golf course. With the death of Mrs. Corby in 1941, the home was purchased by the Sisters of the Holy Cross in 1943 and became known as St. Angela Hall, serving as a convent and school for many years. A local legend[who?
] persists that from 1941 to 1944, the mansion served as a residence and a temporary governmental headquarters for Manuel L. Quezon
, President of the Commonwealth of the Philippines. However, there is no firm evidence to support this assertion.
In 1977, the Sisters of the Holy Cross sold the mansion to the American Speech and Hearing Association
(ASHA) as a temporary headquarters. In 1979, Montgomery County purchased the property from ASHA for use as an Arts Center. On June 21, 1983, after major restoration of the facility, Strathmore opened its doors to the public.
© Photojournalism by Rodney Bailey